Thursday, November 7, 2013

Paper Choice: 25% off on 5 packs of Signature Worthy Paper

One thing that separates an average photographer from a professional is knowing how to print and knowing your different kinds of paper and how to use them for different projects.   

Going back to my 10/30 post in branding yourself and attending Portfolio Reviews a common question you can get is your paper choice.  Knowing your papers really helps knowing if you know your stuff.

So today I received this email that Epson has a 25% off rebate:

I know buying 5 packs of paper is not cheap, especially these kinds. However my point is this, try buying a sample pack and to get to know the different papers for when you have different projects.

During this past summer, my classmates looked terrible (from her mouth) until she found the right paper and it was stunning.  The paper really made the image come to life.

You can also download my personal test sheet to see the different colors and how they show up on the
papers, so that when the time comes you know what you want to print on. TIP: I've learned that matte papers have a yellow warmer feel to your image where as the luster and photo glossy papers can have a colder blue feel to your image.  So begin to experiment with sample packs of paper.  Almost every paper company has some kind of sample pack. One thing to remember when doing this? Use the color profile from the paper makers website.  Very Important.

You can download my PSD Test Page here: DOWNLOAD
©Shelly Au. All images and sources files are not to be used
without written consent. All Rights Reserved!

As you do these test pages, it's vital that you document your paper and profiles used.  So see the bottom right corner? That is where you list the paper, profile, printer, date, Photoshop notes, etc.

Taking a closer look at the info area: This was done for my Color Management where we tested some online printing locations too our own printing. So I tested MPIX.com's "C-Print"to see how it compared to my own printing.  I know this is getting pretty deep and if you are a beginner then this may overwhelm you.  However this is vital in being a professional photographer and producing prints for your clients or for having a gallery representation.  Taking a photo is just part of the job.  Knowing how to print is SO important.

No comments:

Post a Comment