Sunday, September 5, 2010

Want to go shoot but don't know what to shoot?

If you are traveling or wanting to go out and shoot, try this simple method to help you SEE where you are not looking.  Pick a topic to shoot such as today I'm going to shoot SHOES.  Get peoples feet on subways, walking, in motion, stopped.  Everything you can think of from different angles.  Even try get some way down at ground level.  Find some where people are walking on glass and go underneath and shoot that.

Another idea is shooting weeds that are popping out of cement or something.

Try shooting something with a reflection whether it's in your house or outside.

Try shooting something with a shadow.  All day long shoot shadows.

Traveling?  shoot window displays. 

Stuck at home? go around your house and stage shots in your kitchen or best of all with your kids toys at ground level.

My hope is that you train your eye to see things you don't normally see.

2 comments:

  1. Dude! After your visit, Anj encouraged me to shoot more. mainly cuz she knows i might get interested in it, she saw how much joy it gives you and how she doesn't want to come home to find me on the couch watching tv all day.
    but your tea pouring shot immediately caught my eye! and when i see your pics i've always felt what you said about every day ordinary things seen frozen or taking the time to see it uniquely, but to hear you express it was pretty cool. it's sooo true! every day is so full of miracles and meaning . . it'd drive me mad to take it all in. but to meditate on a baby step like the tea pouring. to appreciate that moment reminds me to appreciate other moments. and maybe not with just tea . . maybe with people? on the phone? on the computer? at work? home? moments . . . . i'm really enjoying your work dude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bro!!! I feel like photography has given me a new heart beat. Helping me to stop and smell the roses if you will. I can't believe how much I've missed thus far. But instead of dwelling on the past, imagine what the future could be like now with my camera in hand. How to CAPTURE THAT PRECIOUS MOMENT.

    ReplyDelete