Sunday, April 18, 2010

Tips: How to take your family picture with your DSLR

So you have this new DSLR and you try the timer on your camera to take a family photo and it just does not work.  Sure the camera fires, but you always have the one person not smiling.  Then you have to run to the camera and look at the picture to make sure you and/or your wife likes it.  By the 5th picture your kids begin to loose control and get restless.  Yes, I have been there too.  And ohhh boy that fun idea just became a disaster.  Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Here are some tips:...

  • Purchase a cheap $30 Camera Remote (or similar) that allows you to set the exposure time, count, and the intervals.  This allows you to total flexibility!  It allows you to set the time it would take you to get back to your camera, and to go for every 1 second for 10-20 shots(or however many you want).  I usually do this twice! 20 shots each time.  I'll even do this if I'm taking family shots of other people so I can be behind the camera making them laugh. (I'll post tips later on how to make people laugh).
  • If there are kids in the photo, ask the parents to bring the youngest kids stuffed animal, and some clothes pins.  I always carry at least one clothes pins for this very purpose.  So you can pin the animal to the strap to make them look at the camera.
  • Like I said earlier I set it to take 20 pictures, and 99.9% of the time get at least one good shot.  You'll be surprised that after 15 minutes you could totally be done with the whole shoot having done 2-3 different poses.
  • Make sure you don't shoot into the sun, that could be terrible lighting, and thus terrible shadows under the eyes.  I generally like to shoot in shade.
  • I always take a test shot before to test the composition and exposure.
  • ALWAYS bring a treat for the kids.
Other Detailed Tips:
  • I always shoot in RAW so I can change it as much as possible.
  • I zoom back so I can crop it however I want.  
  • IMPORTANT: I like to set my fstop at f/8.  Sometimes I'll go down to f/5.6, but keep it at f/8 to keep everyone in focus if there are about 8 or less people.  If you have more people you may want to increase your fstop one or two stops.
  • I like to keep my ISO around 200-400 if outside.  If inside, you'll have to bump it way up to at least 800-1600.
  • Keep the camera at eye level.  If you really want something fun, try go really high and shoot down from above.



2 comments:

  1. Dude, great tips. Teach me Obi-won. I need a golf/photographer tutor!

    I do want to get a DSLR camera and have about $1,000 to spend. What do you recommend? I've been looking at the Canon t1i? Thoughts? Want to take pics of kids in action situations (sports) but also be able to take it with me on trips to take people/scenery photos so I need some versatility. Show me the way.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rich, Great to hear from you! Here are a few questions: 1) Do you want to take movies with your dslr? I find that I'm really enjoying the movie function on my camera. But not sure if you need or want it. Most of your $1000 should be spent on a lens or as the photo junkies call it "Glass". 2) So I'm guessing that you also just want one lens that does it all right?

    ReplyDelete