Thursday, October 27, 2011

HDR (High Dynamic Range) Love it or Hate it!

Up unto a week ago I was not a big fan of HDR.  It was fake but cool to see.  However more interesting at times then looking at people's post cards.  So this week I'm supposed to shoot HDR images for class.  Okay, I'll give it a try.

Last night I spent all afternoon and evening catching the sunset that was hidden behind fog and was a little disappointed. So today I'm processing my images and was shocked what HDR did to this image!

For those of you who don't know what HDR is, it is basically taking the same shot of different exposures and combining them.  You see God created the human eye to adjust to light.  When you go into a dark room your eyes adjust, when you go outside they adjust.  But the camera is NOT that smart.  So by taking a series of images ( I took 7 at one stop each) and combine them in software, it will allow you to see something like this that has the right exposure all the way through.

This may be my new favorite image that I'll need to get a gallery wrap hung on my wall!
Click to enlarge!
Shot yesterday in the Nanjing on the wall.  HDR combined in Photomatix Pro and Lightroom Lens Calibrations.
So, do we love it or hate it?  I know I've changed my mind a little and this powerful.   What should I name this image folks?


No comments:

Post a Comment